This roast turkey is basted in a delicious citrus, garlic, and herb marinade that makes it extra juicy and brings out its flavor.
Citrus-Herb Roasted Turkey
2 hours 45 mins
3 hours 5 mins
This roast turkey is based in a citrus marinade that makes it extra juicy and brings out its flavor.
Recipe type: Lunch/Dinner
Serves: 12 servings (4 oz. each)
1 (12 lb.) fresh turkey (neck, heart, and gizzard removed)
5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. finely chopped lemon peel
2 Tbsp. finely chopped orange peel
½ cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
½ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp. paprika
1½ tsp. ground cumin (optional)
1½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
1½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves
1½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Position rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Place oil, lemon peel, orange peel, broth, orange juice, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
- Place turkey breast-side up on rack in roasting pan. Rub turkey with half of prepared dressing, including under the skin and inside the cavity. Reserve remaining dressing for basting.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until skin is golden brown. Remove turkey from oven and cover breast with aluminum foil.
- Return turkey to oven. Reduce heat to 350° F. Bake, brushing turkey with remaining dressing every hour, for an additional 2 to 2½ hours or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 165° F.
- Transfer turkey to a large serving platter and cover with foil. Let turkey stand for 10 minutes before carving.