This recipe for pumpkin donuts is the holy-grail for any pumpkin lover. And, hello: they’re donuts that you can eat without guilt. These gluten-free cake-style donuts are baked, making them a big step up health-wise from their fried counterparts. And, as if they couldn’t get any better, they’re finished with a mouthwatering maple glaze icing made without refined-sugar. They’re still a treat, and pack plenty of calories, but they are made with wholesome ingredients that you can feel good about indulging in every once in a while. Like, right now.
The luscious maple glaze on these pumpkin donuts couldn’t be easier to make. It’s dairy free and composed of just three ingredients: maple syrup, coconut oil, and coconut butter. Blended together, they create a dreamy, perfectly sweet glaze that takes these donuts right over the edge. If you want to skip this step to save calories (and one precious yellow container), you can – but why not live a little?
If coconut butter is new to you, look for it in the health foods or baking section of your grocery store. It’s usually sold in glass jars and can be found near the coconut oils. Coconut butter is made from the fibrous coconut meat, so it tends to be more solid than its close cousin, coconut oil. And, if you’re feeling a bit adventurous, I’ll let you in on a secret… coconut butter is actually quite easy to make at home! Simply add unsweetened shredded coconut to your food processor, and pulse until smooth (sort of like making peanut butter).
Gluten Free Baked Pumpkin Donuts with Maple Glaze
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12 servings, 1 donut each
1½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour
⅓ cup coconut sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
¾ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
⅓ cup pumpkin puree
4 Tbsp. extra-virgin organic coconut oil, melted, divided use
½ cup canned coconut milk
Nonstick cooking spray
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup coconut butter, softened
2 Tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg in a large bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine pumpkin, 2 Tbsp. oil, and coconut milk; mix well.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; mix until just blended.
- Place batter in large re-sealable plastic bag. Cut off one corner to create a piping bag. Pipe batter into a donut pan lightly coated with spray, filling ¾ full. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.
- While donuts are baking, place maple syrup, coconut butter, and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
- Place glaze in a medium bowl. Dip top of each donut into glaze; place on a wire rack until glaze sets.