Spicy Maple-Cashew Popcorn
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup unpopped popcorn kernels (about 6 cups popped)
1/4 cup cashews
1/3 cup stevia
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut spread
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. While saucepan heats, line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper; set prepared pan aside. Add popcorn to oil in saucepan; cover and cook 2 minutes or until kernels begin to pop, shaking pan frequently. Continue cooking 2 minutes, shaking pan constantly. When popping slows down, remove pan from heat. Let stand 1 minute or until all popping stops.
- If you are low on time, place unpopped popcorn kernels in a brown lunch sack and microwave 30 seconds at a time until popping stops.
- Pour popcorn into a bowl and stir in cashews.
- Combine stevia and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool 1 minute.
- Pour hot syrup mixture over popcorn mixture; toss well to coat.
- Immediately spread popcorn mixture out onto prepared jelly-roll pan. Cool 3 minutes.