Try this healthier take on zucchini bread for your next brunch. It’s rich with a moist crumb just like the less healthy versions of this comfort food, but it’s made with all-natural, good-for-you ingredients. It’s still considered a treat, so don’t overdo it.
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 55 min.
Yield: 20 servings, 1 slice each
Nonstick cooking spray
6 large egg whites
¼ cup melted coconut oil
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cups all-purpose flour
1¾ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. sea salt
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
2½ cups grated zucchini
½ cup chopped raw walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Lightly coat two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans with spray.
3. Combine egg whites, oil, applesauce, sugar, and extract in a large bowl. Set aside.
4. Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; mix well.
5. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; mix until just blended.
6. Fold in zucchini and walnuts; mix until just blended.
7. Divide batter evenly between the two pans.
8. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Cool bread in pans for 5 to 10 minutes, remove from pans and transfer to rack; cool completely.
Tip: Leftover slices can be wrapped individually and stored in the freezer for future meals.