"What is easy to do is also easy not to do." To do or not to do is the question? Every day I make the choice to press play and complete my workout. I feel full of energy and a sense of accomplishment when my workout is done for the day. I am excited to be on this journey of fitness and hope to bring you along with me. I look forward to seeing all of your fitness, wellness, and life dreams come true. Join me in the journey!
I have always had an interest in my fitness, and have been going to the gym for many years either to walk or to take a class. The gym that we were members at was about 35 minutes from home so we would only go 1-2 times per week. I knew I should be working out more consistently than that so I began using Beachbody products to have daily workouts. There were so many to choose from and something was always coming out that I enjoyed...10 Minute Trainer, Hip Hop Abs, Brazil Butt Lift, Body Beast, T25, to 21 Day Fix. Each program proved to be challenging for me and allowed me to see results. The key to getting results was ME! I knew that I had to be consistent every day. I was tired of having a muffin top from my three c-sections. My daughter used to ask me why my stomach looked "that way"... the roll at the top of my scar. "Silly girl, it is because of you!" Well, enough was enough, I decided that I was going to work hard to get rid of my tummy. My results are below so you can see that our programs work if you work them...
You can achieve your goals as well. If you are needing to lose weight or just want to tighten and tone, our programs will work for you. We have challenge groups in place to assist you with your fitness & wellness goals. If you are not sure what challenge groups are or how they work, that is ok. ...... Just go to https://www.facebook.com/kristicarringtonfitforlife or email me for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am here to help you!
Saturday, July 23, 2016
Turkey Shepherd's Pie
This mashed potato and turkey shepherd’s pie is comfort food at it’s very best. Our recipe is lean and filled with veggies, so it will warm your belly without adding to your waistline.
This shepherd’s pie is a great way to use leftover turkey and mashed potatoes. You can also substitute rotisserie chicken. If you prefer to use ground turkey, just cook it before the first step and set aside, then proceed with the recipe as written.
Total Time: 1 hr. 20 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr.
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 cup each
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
2¼ cups chopped roasted turkey breast (approximately 11 oz.)
1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
½ cup low-sodium organic vegetable (or beef) broth
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided use
½ cup frozen peas
12 oz. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
½ small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ cup reduced-fat (2%) milk, warm
1 Tbsp. organic grass-fed butter
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and carrot; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Add turkey and flour; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
5. Add broth, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper; bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
6. Add peas; mix well. Place turkey mixture in a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
7. Preheat oven to 350° F.
8. Boil water in steamer or large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place potatoes in steamer basket; cook for 10 minutes.
9. Add cauliflower; cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Remove from heat.
10. Mash potatoes, cauliflower, milk, butter, remaining ¼ tsp. salt, and remaining ¼ tsp. pepper in a medium bowl with a potato masher until smooth. (Add additional milk if mixture is too dry.)
11. Evenly top meat mixture with potato mixture.
12. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through.
13. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Mashed Potatoes – Substitute 2 to 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes for potato, cauliflower, milk, and butter mixture.
Sweet Potatoes – Substitute 1½ lbs. sweet potatoes for potatoes and cauliflower
Container Equivalents: 1 cup =1 Green, 1/2 Red, 1/2 Yellow, 1/2 tsp.